Thursday, March 17, 2005

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I was asked recently who or what I wanted to be or become. This that follows is my answer, or at least my response, as answer imply a full response and this one just covers all the bases, there are depths as yet untouched

who or what do I want to ultimately become?
I want to become me, only fully self-aware, the whole me without apology or fetter.
I want to become enlightened as well as educated (because they're not the same thing and at the higher levels often seem to have grave incompatibilities even though they are both of value). I want to be memorable, and I like that to be for all the right reasons rather than unhappy ones. I want to be great, true greatness that comes from understanding and wisdom, but on the grand scale most people thing of when they say greatness. I want the unwavering ability to empower my friends and loved ones, for that is it's own reward. I want to be loved passionately honestly and unflinchingly for who I am, and I want to live & act worthy of it. I only want to be stumped by one riddle in my life and let that be the final one which sends me on to other things. I want to be aware of truths without the answers blinding me to the mystery of the question. A riddle is a riddle even when solved, and there's importance in remembering that.
I want, simply put, to change the world fundamentally and for the better. And I would really like to live to see it, even if it's only the first few chapters unfolding.
Take Dr. Hannibal Lecter's insight, Alexanders devotion and drive, Riddicks self mastery/awareness, and Supermans purity and nobility of intent. And you will have some idea of the apex I long for.
Yes I aspire for greatness, and grandness too, I would ask you, why aspire for anything less?

2 comments:

F.G. Shaw said...

You should first aspire for joy. Finding joy, and living joy. Because with out it, life is trully meaningless.

Sol said...

*tilts head slightly* I was treating it as if finding joy was the implicit goal of the excerze i.e. life, and thus elaborating on the ways I'd get there. Even so, you make a good point, perhaps my focus has gotten too much away from joy it's self and no to other things in it's stead. Forest for the trees as it were. I'll have to consider that. Thanks Frank :)