Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A few words from Ikkyu Sojun

I Hate Incense
    A master’s handiwork cannot be measured
    But still priests wag their tongues explaining the “Way” and babbling about “Zen.”
    This old monk has never cared for false piety
    And my nose wrinkles at the dark smell of incense before the Buddha.

A Meal of Fresh Octopus

    Lots of arms, just like Kannon the Goddess;
    Sacrificed for me, garnished with citron, I revere it so!
    The taste of the sea, just divine!
    Sorry, Buddha, this is another precept I just cannot keep.

From Wild Ways: Zen Poems of Ikkyu

Ikkyu (1394-1481) Master of Red Thread Zen, one of the most significant figures of Zen history , Abbot of Daitofuji temple in his later years. Ikkyu wrote a poem after his first realisation experience: From the world of passions returning to the world of passions: There is a moments pause. If it rains, let it rain; if the wind blows, let it blow His words are now sacred scripture ,Known as a Heretic and a Saint as well as the point origin of Red Thread Zen, He share's much with the Venerable Yogini (female yogi) Tse Yogal on many levels within Buddhism This approach was closely related to Tantric Buddhism. He is as well a folk hero of Japanese children even yet in our time! Oh I forgot to mention a small fact........... his Father was Emperor of Japan.

I ask what is the Red Thread that ties all the Buddha's, ourselves and life together????



I came across this on Ancient Worlds so credit goes to the origonal poster, but even tho' it is not my practice here to re-publish things I think the words of the Zen priest Ikkyu Sojun are a sound exception to this trend.

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Post/243250



-Sol

No comments: